Upscale SingersWho are the Upscale Singers?
Upscale Singers are a local singing group of 30 members who live in North Scottsdale, Carefree, Cave Creek and Phoenix, AZ. Under the direction of Margaret Watson, the group presents live entertainment twice a year an annual Christmas concert; and then in April, a cabaret-styled dinner show, complete with costumes, choreography, and lively musical medleys.
It's a mixed-age group with singers from their 40s to their 80s. The singers come from Europe and all parts of America, and include a banker, a doctor, a lawyer, a nurse, accountants, psychologists, teachers, pilots and lots of business people and community volunteers.
The group has a dual mission: To have fun while making great music, and then to pass on to the next generation their joy and musical wisdom. The Upscale Singers do this in three different ways:
- They award music scholarships to local students in an annual competition. In seven years we've made 105 awards to junior and senior high singers. The money goes directly to the vocal music teacher of the winner's choice.
- They support the Arizona Magic of Music and Dance, a summer program for physically-challenged youth. The Upscale Singers have support sixty-three campers to participate in a program that also involves highschool volunteers as individual mentors and friends.
- In 2010 they created a new program which helps our public school junior and senior high choir directors with up to $400 grants each school year. The funds go directly to choir needs such as music purchases, accompanists and teaching aids.
- This past summer of 2016 they sponsored three young singers to attend the Desert Foothills Youth Theater Music Camps.
- They perform regularly with the Upscale Kids, a group of young singers that makes every concert a multi-generational happening!
The Upscale Singers are a 501-c(3) non-profit organization. Funds raised from ticket sales and the annual silent auction and raffle held in spring support operational costs and our four youth outreach programs.